La Liga has informed Barcelona that they lack the Financial Fair Play (FFP) ability to finalize the signing of Dani Olmo or Pau Victor after they were given an initial temporary respite earlier this year.
By December 2024, there was news that Barcelona had had their temporary registrations for registering Victor and Olmo withdrawn after the latter failed to provide evidence that would allow them to register the two players within their budget.
Some clubs, such as Arsenal, were said to be interested in Olmo, who appeared set to be made available on a free transfer in January after the news that Barcelona had their temporary registrations withdrawn.
Barca appealed the ruling and Spain’s sports council (CSD) suspended the sanction and issued temporary registrations to Olmo and Victor.
The final ruling will be made on April 7, 2025.
In an effort to improve their own coffers and to generate much-needed revenue, the Catalan club announced that they had sold VIP boxes in their recently refurbished Camp Nou for £83m.
They explained that the sale would provide them with the room to register their players in full.
But La Liga has now confirmed that this transaction was not included in the accounts presented by Barcelona to the league last week for this season.
So, as far as he league is concerned, Barcelona has not presented proof that they are able to register Olmo and Victor.
“No sum from the VIP box deal ever materializes in the profit and loss accounts, as was certified by the club and the auditor at the time of the said transaction,” La Liga said.
Barcelona was not on December 31 or on January 3, nor has it been since that date nor does it have now, the Financial Fair Play capacity for registering the players Dani Olmo and Pau Victor.
Barcelona president Joan Laporta criticized La Liga’s proposals and said that it was nothing but an attempt to ‘damage the club’s image.’
He also accused the La Liga announcement of poor timing as it is tonight that there is a Copa del Rey semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.
The tie is finely balanced at 4-4 on aggregate ahead of the second leg at the Metropolitano Stadium.
But Olmo has always stated how amazingly happy he is at Barcelona, and in January, he was not thought to be seeking other clubs.
Want to get the latest Barcelona news direct to your phone? Join our WhatsApp community by clicking here.